Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Benign neglect

Benign neglect is a policy or attitude of ignoring a situation instead of assuming responsibility for managing or improving it. I take this topic very seriously as I've had some experience with it and it's consequences. Years ago when I took over an existing practice, I came to realize that some of the patients did not want any treatment unless they were in pain or half of their tooth fell out! I found myself explaining and educating my patients as to the importance of early diagnosis and treatment of conditions that they were not aware of. Later after some investigating I realized that the previous dentist rarely did a thorough examination and basically if the patients did not have a complaint they were given a clean bill of health and sent on their way. This practice may seem like a conservative approach on the surface but of course it is not only detrimental to the health of patients, but also unethical. It is a proven fact that by the time a patient experiences some symptoms, some irreversible damage has already occurred. For example some recurrent decay under an existing restoration is usually diagnosed at a periodic exam and subsequently the filling and decay are excavated and a new restoration placed. Now, if the same tooth is neglected, the nerve could easily become invaded by the advancing decay and become infected, thus requiring more invasive treatment such as root canal therapy. I feel that it is my professional and ethical duty to use all technological advances at my disposal to make thorough diagnosis on a regular basis and protect the health of my patients in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment